April 27, 2005

Ladies Who Lunch...

...have a tendancy to become er... over-refreshed. On Sunday, I suggested that Stephen call up these friends of ours, Ray and Deniece, and invite them over for lunch. Because they did that for us, a while ago, and we owed them a lunch. I'm outside, assembling the rest of the patio furniture( I know, don't ask) and I come inside to get some water. He says "You know that saying,'Be careful what you wish for?'" Yeeeeees...?""I just got off the phone with Deniece, and they'd love to come, they'll be here tomorrow." I think my heart actually stopped. "Tomorrow? But.." Here is where I should explain that Monday was Anzac Day, a national holiday, and everything is closed. Lunch for 4 isn't really a problem, but I didn't have the provisions in the house, and the grocery is closed, it being Sunday. Not to mention the fact that we haven't been able to do any work on the house, I haven't vacuumed since I got back, and I've been meaning to wash the windows... you get the idea. I had actually hoped we could take them out for lunch. Did I mention we don't actually have 4 dining chairs to sit on? So, I'm hyperventilating, but quietly, and Stephen saves the day. He offers to go to the Indian place, Bangles, and get curry. Bangles is all that's open on Sunday evening, so he fished out the menu, and placed the order. Bangles is also unusual in that they actually deliver. Not many places do that here.
Monday comes, and I'm vacuuming, and scrubbing and whatnot, and I forgot to have breakfast. And then it's noon, doing last minute things. I've worked up a thirst, so I pour myself a glass of wine and get in the shower. Only now remembering, oops, I forgot to eat. So, yeah, I was beyond tipsy, but he assures me I didn't embarass us. And, Deneice was in the same condition, in fact we both had a nap later. I needn't have worried, everything was fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home