November 28, 2005

Beans, Beans...you know the rest



You wouldn't believe the variety of canned beans in the grocery store here. Stephen says in Britain, grocery stores have an entire baked bean aisle, with 57 varieties. Here, I could only find half a dozen.

1 Comments:

At November 28, 2005 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the time, I never give it a thought that we grew up with an ocean between us. But, sometimes.........
Baked beans are a staple of English life. (And to a lesser extent, Aussie life.) An English child probably eats baked beans four or five times a week. Every week. Beans on toast; eggs, beans and chips (sorry, fries); sausage and beans; beans on toast; burgers and beans; bacon, egg, and beans. Did I mention beans on toast?
An English adult probably eats baked beans no more than twice a week. Every week. CC missed off the low salt beans, and the salt-free beans, so six different flavours is probably about right for Oz. I have to tell you, it isn't enough.
Sometimes, when I'm tucking into a plate of beans on toast, with a big mug of tea, and a contented look on my face, I can FEEL her looking at me with polite disbelief. Even if she is behind me. Next time we go to England, I'm going to let her taste the curried baked beans with sultanas...... Isn't love grand?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home