Road Trip to Geraldton
Finally, here is the account of our trip to Geraldton, which is about 4 hours north of us. It was a lovely day out. We actually did it as a day trip, which was a lot of driving for him.
I think this sign from a rest stop says it all:
Truly rural, indeed. Lots of fields, and sheep, and goats. Oh, and wild emus, too. That was very cool.
Here is the restaurant where we had lunch, and the food was not bad.
Skeetas was right on the beach, so we could see the water from our table. Lovely sunny day.
This is St Francis Cathedral in Geraldton, locally famous for its' mix of architectural styles. The front of the church:
and the back of the church:
This restaurant is where we didn't have lunch. My other half had done a search for restaurants in Geraldton, and came across La Mexita. Knowing my ongoing quest to find Mexican food here, he made a note of the address, and we went there. It was basically just a lunch counter, not a proper restaurant, and the menu was eclectic, to say the least. Click on the picture to enlarge it, and you'll see what I'm talking about. They look to have started off with a Mexican restaurant, and when that wasn't bringing in the numbers, added some Italian to the menu. Then, souvlaki, and beef stroganoff, and lamb curry. A culinary world tour. Also a classic mistake for inexperienced restauranteurs... that sign on the taco case is a for sale listing.

Back on the road... They have what they call road trains here. The picture is pretty self-explanatory, although I've seen some with three trailers connected. "Take care when overtaking". They ain't lying. Imagine trying to pull out and pass, on a narrow 2-lane road, a monster semi that's 175 feet long. (That's half a football field, including the endzone).

Finally, here is a picture of the windshield, nearing the end of the trip. Don't enlarge this picture if you're at all squeamish:

3 Comments:
Wow I can just imagien the water and the emus but for the winsheld picture I don't think so
Too late, I looked. I guess the bugs wanted to go too.
The pictures are great. I guess if I could take a trip anywhere it would be Australia. There is so many different things to see. I think it would be a great adventure.As for the road train , at least they warn you. Here you take your chances with the big rigs. Be thankful for small blessings.
Regarding the Mexican/Italian menu:
We need to stop the Mexican and Ialian from interbreeding. They make some rough looking characters,
Post a Comment
<< Home