August 28, 2006

On the Road Again

This time we went south, about 3 and one half hours, to Margaret River. The region is home to wineries, and world class surf. They are serious about surfing here - with good reason, I suppose. We took these pictures at sunset, and it was quite chilly, yet there were about a dozen surfers in the water.




It's a small country town, with the requisite coffee bar and art galleries. This is a picture of the main drag through town, looking up the street.


And looking the other way...


Strolling along, wandering in and out of the gift stores and bookstores, was quite enjoyable. Some of the merchandise on offer was really nice, stuff I wouldn't mind having in my home.

Some of it, not so much...

Click on this one to enlarge, you'll see it's called "Loo with a View". (loo=toilet). Which would actually come in handy for those times when you're out of reading material.



This ad made me laugh; only in Australia will you find a tree called "Snotty Gobble".

We went to the lighthouse at Cape Leeuwin, which is the southwesternmost point on the continent. It was a blowy, blustery day, and the air tasted of salt. It stands 128 feet high from ground level, and 184 feet above sea level.







Look at how deeply the window is set. I thought that was interesting.




You have to look at this plaque full size. It gives the distance to certain landmarks. Standing there, there is nothing but ocean until you reach the South Pole.


Cape Leeuwin sits where the Southern Ocean and the Indian Ocean meet.
On our way back, there was a lookout, and from there you get a good view of the rocky point.
We went to one of the wineries for lunch. The food was good, but I would have to say the menu was overambitious and pretentious. Just really strange combinations.



This is a view of the grape vines...picture this in all directions, as far as you can see.



Stephen and I had a really good time, and I loved seeing the area. It's still very undeveloped and unspoiled, although I think that's changing fast.

2 Comments:

At August 30, 2006 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that is a really cool lighthouse and the water is awsome.

 
At September 11, 2006 3:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shared these awesome
pictures with Carol and Warren and they thought they were really neat .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home